Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Planes, Trains and Automobiles


The past decade has seen me running all over the map. I've taken lots of trips to teach and it's always a challenge to get all the tools packed and figure out how to transport them and work with them once I've arrived. Now that the book is off my plate, I am turning my attention to the next few months of traveling and teaching. I will be in South Carolina, Iowa and Ohio, followed very closely by Washington state.
 
When I fly, I pack up a bag and check it as luggage, but for lots of these classes, I will be driving, so I've decided to finally put in the time to design and build my ultimate chairmakers toolbox. I've worked out the list of tools that need to fit in it for years and have jumped back and forth with design ideas. With the help of Jim Tolpin's wonderful 'The Toolbox Book', I am ready to take the plunge. I'll post the process and design as I go. For me, building a box takes a bit of a shift in mindset, but after the hiatus caused by the book, any shop time is welcome and exciting!

On the personal note, I've gotten lots of questions about my plans and destination in the coming year. I was headed south to Asheville, but a couple of events have change my thinking and I plan on sticking in New England to see them out.
One, is that I have developed a close relationship that I am thoroughly enjoying and wish to continue and the other is that I am partnering with the North Bennet Street School to host chairmaking classes at their wonderful new facility in the Boston's historic North End. I've taught at the school for years and have secretly wished to deepen my connection there. I will post more on the dates and details as they become solid.
Boy does it feel good to post here again. Writing the book was an incredible process, but this is home.

7 comments:

hickeymad said...

Oregon please!

Siavosh said...

Wonderful news all around :) I've ordered the book and can hardly wait for it's arrival. And now greatly looking forward to the toolbox build!

Glen Rundell said...

Awesome news on both counts Pete. The post put a smile on my face too for another reason. I'm glad you're taking up the tool chest challenge too mate…… It's another thing that's 'stalled a little' you might say, on my list of things to do! You can't rush these things though…. Cheers
http://rundellandrundell.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/organising-kaos.html

paul testoni said...

Pete living only an hour South from your Mass. shop,after this winter with the snow we have received,What ever relationships you have ,both personal and career minded have got to be fantastic,because any place warm ,to me, sounds wonderful right now!! Great to have you back posting can't wait for the book! Have a great day and enjoy getting back in your shop

Pete said...

Hey Pete, glad to hear things are going well in MA, and excited to see what you come up with for the chairmakers toolbox- until I saw this I was planning on building a Schwarz dutch tool chest and filling it with chair tools but I'm betting your design will be pretty sweet.

Pete

Philip said...

Pete, after much anticipation- got the book- love it! The chair builds will happen this year!

Peter Galbert said...

Thanks for all the kind comments, this an exciting time and your input helps me immensley