Thursday, March 1, 2007

Woodworking Years


Pictured here is my wife Sue, Director of the Western Sullivan Public Libraries and Chairnotes Covergirl. Well, Sue and I had to cancel our vacation to Florida. We were supposed to soak up the sun for a week but she has a terrible sinus infection AND the flu, so we are going to stay put. Bad for us, good for the blog! A funny thing keeps happening to me. As different people find me through my work, they come to find that I am younger than they expect. I'm 37 and feel like I've earned it! I'm beginning to think that being a woodworker is akin to living in reverse dog years. Not such a bad thing when you think about it, but in reality, put me in a room full of teenagers and they look at me like I'm way past my prime. According to Curtis Buchanan, a woodworker peaks in his 60's, full of knowledge and experience and still capable of dexterity. I don't know if this is true, but I can say that many of my students in this age group have an energy and vitality that I hope to maintain myself. Maybe there is something to living in woodworking years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute wife!
I hope she is feeling better.

Krijoga said...

I think you are on to something there. I have always heard that ideal hands are the Devil play things. If we stop using the hands we end up with a glass of liquor or cigarette in our hands and the mind and body go num. Working with the hands and body in a mentally challenging way does some how increase the length and quality of life. The blog is a great place for creative outlet and feedback. Great blog and thanks for answering my question so fast.

Kris

Anonymous said...

perhaps midday naps help!
ox
laura moran